EMILI: Early Medieval Irish Latinate Inscriptions

KIK-002. Killamery 2. Cross Slab

Full Epidoc XML | Citation Link

Description: National Monuments Service Record Number: KK030-008013-. A stone (`rough grit', according to Macalister 1949, 25) cross slab, (w: 0.22 x h: 0.38) with an incised single-line Latin cross (L c. 0.12m) with enlarged ends (Archaeology.ie).
Text: The inscription is reported to have been positioned beneath the cross on the slab (Archaeology.ie). Unfortunately, little else has been recorded about the physical appearance of the inscription or the cross-slab, apart from the sketch below by Petrie (1878, Plate XVII) .
Letters: According to Petrie's sketch, the Rs in this inscription are half-uncial, many of the letters (THUATHA) are quite angular and the final L has a wedge-shaped finial.

Date: Unknown.

Findspot: Reported in 1853 by Carrigan who describes it as " a very small freestone flag, thin and rough, outside the graveyard a few perches to the south" (Macalister 1949, 25). According to Carrigan (1905, vol. 4, 311-2) a monastery here was founded by St. Gobbán Finn early in the 7th century whose feast day is celebrated on the 6th of December. Of the monastic site only a high cross (KK030-008004-), two cross-slabs (KK030-008005-; KK030-008011-), a stone cross (KK030-008013-), the remains of a church (KK030-008003-) and two bullaun stones (KK030-008006-; KK030-008008-) are currently visible at the location (Archaeology.ie).
Original location: Killamery (Cill Lamraí), Co. Kilkenny, approx. 52.475250, -7.445859.

Last recorded location: Lost since at least Macalister's time (1940s).






A prayer on behalf of Túathal


The personal name Túathal ('tribe-ruler', compound containing túath 'people, territory') is quite common in early medieval Ireland.

Bibliography: Carrigan 1905, vol. 4, 315 ; Macalister 1949, 25, no.571 ; Petrie 1878, vol. 2, 24, Plate XVII ; Stokes and Strachan 1903, 287
Text constituted from:



Full Epidoc XML | Citation Link